Thursday, February 11, 2010

Snow Day for Adults!

This morning at work, I was talking in a friend’s office when the most glorious email ever came into his inbox:

Due to inclement weather in the Dallas area, all employees can go home at noon…

Woohoo!! Snow day for the workingman! When I got home, I foolishly decided to run a line item report for all of 2009 on a large account, so I figured I might as well write something while I wait.

The last few weeks have been pretty busy for me, I feel like I haven’t had much time to sit and do nothing (which unfortunately is the only time I can write blogs). This past weekend was a very fulfilling yet energy consuming weekend. Our Bible study guys decided that we should be DNOW leaders over the weekend, and it turned out to be quite interesting. We spent the last month going through the book of Ecclesiastes, the material for the weekend. I find it interesting that PCBC chose this book. We were supposed to be teaching it to 7th-12th graders in two days, yet we argued back and forth over its application for a month. Talk about complicated stuff! Anyways, we did some minor surgery on the leader guide and everything went off without a hitch. My buddy Tim and I had 10th grade guys who knew a lot of stuff and were well intentioned, but man did I realize some things about kids this weekend!

1. No matter how hard they try, it is impossible for them not to get distracted.

2. They do not understand that language and attention are measures of respect.

3. They WILL outsmart you when it comes to having their technology.

The last one has a funny story attached to it. At the beginning of the weekend, we took their cell phones and ipods to avoid any distractions and bring the group together. This was a rule enforced by the DNOW staff because in the past someone actually got dumped via text message and it ruined the weekend, how awful! Anyways, so Sunday morning rolls around and we walk in to make sure they’ll be ready in time for church, and what do we find? An Xbox, a macbook, another laptop, and a converter that allowed them to play N64 games on their laptops! I guess I was just naïve to think that these kids (and their parents) wanted them to have a time separate from their usual distractions to enjoy fellowship and teaching. Oh well, I guess I should honestly recognize that when I was in high school I also had an insatiable desire for constant entertainment. It is just surprising to me what is available to kids these days!!

A lot of aspects of this weekend helped me to get a more profound respect for what my soon-to-be-bride does for a living. What patience, understanding, and love she has to be able to deal with these rascals all day every day! I am rather thankful that she has them, because they will forever make me look good!

0 comments :

Post a Comment