The phone call is 9 minutes and 52 seconds and counting with Comcast. It is not very exciting to come home to no TV and no Internet, but I guess it isn’t the end of the world. I was planning on starting a new discipline of not watching TV unless there is something specific I want to watch. Admittedly, I failed on day 1 because I like to watch TV while I eat. God had it planned that I would have to sit here and type, internetless, in Microsoft word. I feel like this time actually is a blessing, as if my idea of no TV was a good one in the first place! One of the reasons I want to kick the mindless television habit is that I need to invest more time in reading and blogging (we have been pretty awful about writing lately). Here is a brief update on what has been going on in our lives lately:
Angela and I have been reading Men are from Mars Women are from Venus lately. It has been an interesting read so far. I am about halfway through it, and I must admit, I have learned a lot about women (at least what this guy is telling me anyway). I am not a fan of all the lingo he throws in there about Martians, Venusians, etcetera, but nonetheless it has been relatively eye-opening to start learning about the psychological differences between men and women. I had no idea that when Angela calls me after work and starts sharing about how bad 7th period was that day, that I am NOT supposed to fix it. She wants me to understand how she is feeling, and once that is accomplished, she will feel better. Weird. The dynamic of my mind while reading it is very interesting to me. When I am reading about the man stuff, I am thinking, “this makes perfect sense, why does he even have to type it?” But when I read the woman stuff I am thinking, “this can’t possibly be true…” I wonder if Angela is feeling the same way when she reads about the man stuff! It is so interesting to me how much time we spend together, yet how little we know of how to nurture and fulfill the other. Although, I don’t think anyone would ever expect us to have all the answers at this point. I think that the important thing is that we are working really hard at learning to love each other in the way that they need to be loved, not our own way to receive love. Although the book can be a bit slow and redundant sometimes, I would recommend it to anyone trying to put a little extra work into their communication skills with their mate (which I think we all need to do).
After 22 minutes on the phone, no solution. My signal is weak; technician can’t come at any time except for my working hours. Why is this guy shocked that I have an 8-5 job?
Pressing forward:
The other big thing that has happened over the last blogless period is that Angela and I have decided that we are going to look for a house! Can you say big league? We have been looking at apartments and other options over the past month since I moved to Houston, and we decided on Thursday that we would invest some of our newlywed time in the Schultz’s old Dickinson house so that we can save up for a down payment on our own piece of land. It has been exciting over the last few days to start looking at our savings and scoping out houses on HAR.com until I realized that I KNOW NOTHING about real estate, housing markets, escrow, etcetera. Good thing we have 3 months till the wedding, and then 6-12 months of learning/looking for houses.
As you can tell, it has been very exciting to be Angela and I lately, but it certainly can be a bit overwhelming at times. Please keep us in your prayers over the next few months as we prepare for our wedding. I have written some specific prayer requests below, please let us know how we can be praying for you! We love you all, thank you for reading!
Prayer Requests:
Pray that we choose the right songs, readings, pastor, so that Christ is the center of our wedding. We want nothing more than to glorify Him who has done a great work in us during this amazing moment in our lives.
Pray that the bridesmaids’ dresses arrive with plenty of time to be altered. I have heard rumblings that there are some issues, so this is important!!
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)
1 comments :
You two should read "Fighting for Your Marriage" (Markman, Stanley, Blumberg). It's required reading this semester in my program, and I wish I had the funds to buy a copy for every married (or soon-to-be) couple that I know :). It's so pertinent to any interpersonal relationship, especially an intimate one. You'll keep it forever!
Post a Comment