Sunday, May 2, 2010

Marriages: Beware!

Church tonight was heartbreaking. We have been doing a marriage series for the last few weeks and finished it up tonight talking about the difficult topic of divorce. Our pastor, Gregg Matte, went through a bit of his childhood with us. His parents got divorced when he was 2. He saw his dad every 1st and 3rd weekend of the month. He knows what he is talking about. All I can think about is how blessed I am, not to be able to relate to him. Angela and I have strong marriages all around us. Parents and grandparents on both sides have shown us countless examples of what it is like to stay committed forever. I think it is very important, however, that we not become complacent in the mentality that it will work out for us because it has worked out for those around us. Just in the same way that children of divorce should never assume that because it DIDN'T work out for those around them, that it won't for them! The number one goal of the Enemy is for our marriage to fail. Think about it, if marriage's ultimate purpose is to exalt the unfailing love of Christ for the Church, what better way for Satan to introduce doubt into that truth than to work towards failed marriages?

Fighting is the only way!



What does this mean? You have to fight. It is a little bit frightening to know that for the next 50+ years of my life, I will have an Enemy 100% set on destroying my relationship with my wife. It will take consistent prayer and a lifetime of learning to make sure that doesn't happen. It was heartbreaking to see how many people went up to pray at the end of the sermon tonight, all in tears because of how tragically divorce had affected them. From day one, our eyes have to be set on our goal. I am so excited to start that journey in 2 months!

They say that goals you set need to be concise, measurable, and attainable, so here are mine:
Love my wife every day
Love Jesus every day
Have at least 2 kids and 2 dogs
Grow at least 5 years older together than these two!!

0 comments :

Post a Comment