A few weekends ago, Tommy and I had the privilege of doing a weekend marriage retreat. At this retreat we learned so much about ourselves, each other and how to fulfill each other in marriage. One thing that made such an impression on me was talking about standing up for and standing by your spouse
As women we like to talk about our families and our men. We like to tell what's going on in our lives, what our husbands are and aren't doing for us, but is this really healthy for your marriage? Don't get me wrong, if you are seeking Godly counsel, telling about circumstances in your marriage is OK; this would not be considered gossiping.
Gossiping has been a century old "pastime" for women. Sitting around at the day spa with the gals or even at a bible study, it happens everywhere and more often than we think. Whether their intentions are harmless or not, gossiping only leads to mistrust and disrespect to your spouse. Proverbs 11:13 says, "A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy man keeps a secret."
I want my husband to feel loved and respected even when I'm not with him. I want others to know how perfect he is even if we aren't perfect 100% of the time. Others won't hear of all the good things he does for you if all you talk about is what he is not doing for you. They don't have the same connection with your husband as you do, nor the same ability to forgive and forget, so whether you want to or not, those things you said about him yesterday will still be in the mind of your friend the next time she sees your husband. ("The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a mans inmost parts." Proverbs 18:8)
I can tell you that this is something I am continuously working on. I love my fiancé with my whole heart and I want everyone to know him how I know him. So, I am confessing to the blog world that I am not perfect, and this week I did not make my future husband seem perfect when talking about our wedding to-do list, but I am asking for his forgiveness. Not until writing this blog did I realize the lesson God was teaching me.
So, stand up for your man! Make him look good. 99.9% of the time, he is probably just that...and the other .1% of the time no one needs to know about his imperfections. Would you want him telling his guy friends you haven't cooked dinner or done laundry in weeks? I don't think so!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)
1 comments :
Anglea, I love you. Thank you for this post - it is very timely. Chris and I love y'all and want to do a double date soon!
Post a Comment