Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Getting a Passport in less than 24 hours

Yes, you read that right.  It happened to us.  At 9:45pm on the Friday before we were supposed to leave for Bermuda on Saturday we realized Kate needed a passport.  Who knew??  It didn't even cross our minds.  I won't get into the nitty gritty of all the emotions, prayers, heartbreak that occurred when we realized we wouldn't be going, but it was there.  All real, and a great chance to lean on Jesus and his provision.

Anyways, unfortunately for us, we realized this on Friday night.  Passport offices are closed on weekends, so I scurried around the internet searching for someone, some blog, forum, something that would have some information for me.

Search: Does a 16 month old need a passport?  Result: Any child of any age MUST have one.  Rats.

Search: Getting a passport in 24 hours  Result: This guys amazing blog that gave me hope.  Score!

Insert tears, crying, prayers, and having to inform the family we weren't going to make it. Ugh!

All that said, I wanted to add our experience to the web so that if only I could help ONE PERSON, I can do what Rahim did for me.  Give me hope that it IS possible to get a passport in less than 24 hours and add what you might experience at the Houston Passport Office.

So here it is... How to get a NEW passport in less than 24 hours FOR A MINOR.

1. Read Rahim's blog.  It gives you a GREAT run through.  No need for me to re-write everything when he's already given you a great start.  I cannot agree with him more to have EVERYTHING ready.  Pictures, original (or certified copy) of the birth certificate (or other ID needed), payment, etc.  We even printed a blank copy of the form in case we needed to re-do it because something wasn't correct.  I think I must have looked over spelling a million times.  I didn't want anything to hinder the process.

2. Get there early, like he said.  One difference was how the Houston passport office was run versus Rahim's experience.  We got to the passport office at 7:00am.  It doesn't open until 8:00.  They make you wait in this SMALL deli area (the building is under construction as of 7/21/14 so that is my guess on why).  Even though you aren't allowed upstairs quite yet, I still think it was worth getting there early.  We were probably the 5th or 6th family there.  Officers come down around 10 minutes till 8 and ask for anyone with appointments to line up.  If you have an appointment, awesome, if not.  Just sit there and be nice, you will be called (very soon, promise!).  You won't be the only one without an appointment if you didn't make one or they didn't have one in your time frame.  A relief but then you realized that everyone else is going to be throwing themselves to get into line first.  Just relax.  You head upstairs and they line you up in chairs allowing you to go intermittently amongst the people with appointments.  Once you make it into the line, don't be fooled.  This line is just to get your number.  I had forgotten this part about what Rahim wrote about the process but he does mention it.  They prescreen all of your documents to make sure you have everything (luckily we did and our lady as so thankful) You then sit back down and wait for your number to be called.  This was about 9:17 for us.  At about 10:00 our number was called.  The lady went through all of our documentation and asked if we wanted to come back at 12:30 or 2:30 to get her passport.  Ummm, 12:30 please!  Hallelujah!  We headed home to put the munchkin in bed and the hubby ran back into town to pick it up.  If you have a newborn or a toddler like we did, there really isn't a need for them to be there that early if you can postpone their arrival.  Since both parents have to be there, unless you have notarized documentation on why they aren't present, it might be helpful (if convenient) to wait in the car or go run around somewhere near.  They office is small and it fills up fast.  We have a VERY active 16 month old and it was pretty much torture for all of us.  The minor won't need to be there until the very last step when your number is called and they have to confirm identification.

3. Fill out the right form. We did not have this issue, but many people at the office did.  If you have the ability to fill it out at home and print it, its so much more worth it.  Look over the directions a million times.  Make copies of all documentation.  If there is one thing wrong, it will most likely delay the process.

4. Don't ever do it again.  Right?

If you are reading this because you are in the same situation we were, I'm so sorry.  I feel your pain.  Hopefully you realized this BEFORE your trip.  :)  I hope this helped in some way or another.

0 comments :

Post a Comment