Sunday, January 10, 2010

Faith and Trust

This week has seen many lessons of faith and trust. First of all, I couldn’t be any prouder of Colt McCoy and the Texas Longhorn football team for how they handled a devastating loss of the senior leader on Thursday night. I cannot even fathom what must have been going through Colt’s head. His entire football career to this point had lead up to that night. He finally made it to the big game, only to have to watch it from the sidelines. The way that Colt reacted, however, shows the strength of his faith in God’s plan. In 2 Timothy 2:8-9, Paul instructs Timothy to suffer for the gospel not because of anything that Timothy has done, but because of God’s own purpose and grace. The point is to entrust yourself to God and His plan, no matter what it is, and that is what Colt had to do on Thursday night. I couldn’t help but think (in that moment in my limited wisdom) that God would have received more glory by choosing a desperate follower of Christ to be the champion, but how often does the “wisdom” of the world turn out to be the exact opposite of God’s plan? The bottom line is, we are called to entrust our lives to God in all circumstances, and Colt McCoy will forever be a shining example to me and the rest of the Longhorn nation because of the life he chose to live, and Who he chose to put first.




So what is our response? Not only do we have to entrust ourselves to God, we also must take delicate care of what others have entrusted to us. My first thought, at the behest (thanks for the vocab Mr. Hill!) of the pastor at PCBC today, is to take measure of what Angela has entrusted to me: her heart, her emotions, her future. Trust takes so much more than telling the truth, being honest, and following the rules. For Angela to truly entrust herself to me, I have to take many steps further than those simple no-brainers. My relationship with her has been filled with lessons, some harder than others, that will no doubt continue for the rest of our lives. But I am convinced that if we put God first, each other second, and ourselves third, there is nothing that we can’t overcome. Angela’s mom, Sandy, wrote me a wonderful card thanking me for devoting my life to her daughter. I think she put it best when she said that our marriage “won’t always be easy, but it will always be worth it.” That is exactly the same as following Christ and God’s purpose in our lives. I look forward to participating in our Christ-glorifying marriage, one of the highest honors and responsibilities that God can bestow on a man. And I will follow through with that honor until I breathe my last breath.

2 comments :

Mr. Hill said...

Tommy! Thanks for the shoutout, dude! It was fun to hang out with you and Angela the other night. Looking forward to doing some more of that in the future.

Even as an Aggie, I've gotta tell you that I felt for your boy, Colt. It was such a bummer that he got hurt, but he has a long and illustrious NFL career ahead of him at any rate.

Steve said...

hey i commented on this on google reader! next time i'll just come here lol

Post a Comment