Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hubby Magic

Tonight has been a very fulfilling experience for me as a husband. My beautiful wife decided to leave her comfort zone and drive into Houston tonight (a weeknight for cryin' out loud!) to go to the first night of a Beth Moore Bible study series. Poor Angela, the last I heard she spent two hours in traffic only to get there half an hour late, and had to park a half-mile away. I really hope that she enjoys the rest of her evening in town, but I KNOW she will enjoy every second of her walk through the house when she gets home.

What did her usually lazy, couch potato of a husband do for her tonight? Everything he could think of.

We had guests come in town to stay with us this weekend, and of course we had a great time, and of course the house was a mess last night. The week leading up to the weekend consisted of deep-cleaning, straightening, moving boxes and non-essentials to the attic, basically everything we should have finished doing when we moved in. The state of our home as of 6:00 pm this evening was not as flattering. Enter one night of hubby magic! As I type this, the house is now in its pre-visitor state, and it feels great. I would list all of my glorious accomplishments here, but I don't want to spoil the surprise for Angela. Undoubtedly she will continue to find little things that I have done throughout the week, and I don't want to give them all away!

If you were to look at an average night for me after work, it would consist of either working out and then coming home to be lazy, or just coming straight home to be lazy. But tonight, wow. Tonight is one of those nights where I remember things about relationship, about marriage. Tonight is one of those nights where I remember that giving of myself and my time to serve the one I love is infinitely more fulfilling to me than just sitting on the couch and watching tv. This is what marriage is about, the mutual servanthood of a spouse is invaluable, both to the one serving and the one being served. By spending a night focusing on serving my wife, even on a night when we are apart, I have in fact gotten more joy and fulfillment than I would have if it would have been her serving me. This is the beauty and the grace of putting her first, it is more fulfilling for me to sacrifice myself than to be a receiver of sacrifice.

Marriage is amazing, and I love being reminded that it is a journey. We will no doubt have nights that severely lack hubby magic, but not tonight. God is constantly revealing things to me through this relationship, and it is indescribably exciting to know that it will continue to improve as we continue to align ourselves with His will for our lives. As a wise friend from The Top of The Hills said, "after knowing Jesus, being married is the best thing you could ever experience!" The most amazing part of this growing relationship is that as I constantly feel my love for Angela growing, I am even more so reminded of how infinite God's love is for me. If I can love my wife this much, I can't wait for the day when we can experience perfect love.


2 comments :

Jessica said...

Tommy - I know that this will bless Angela beyond measure! This will make her feel safe and loved!

Y'all are awesome and it is essential that the four of us hang out soon!

Unknown said...

Since I was on the receiving end of your wife when she arrived at Beth Moore after the long battle with accidents, traffic and then parking, I can tell you just how much she will love coming home to the results of "hubby magic." She may even get so energized by the surprise gift that she'll forget that she got home from the bible study an hour after she normally goes to sleep. There is no sweeter gift you could have given her tonight.

Post a Comment