Ok, so it's Valentine's day. The wife and I decided that our love could not be constrained to a single day, so we decided to have an all out amazing weekend. What we discovered this weekend is that it really doesn't matter what we do, it's that we're together that really makes us happy. What I learned is that to make my wife feel loved, she just wants to know that there is a plan. It doesn't matter at all what the plan is, just as long as there is some kind of plan. I could plan to sit on the couch all day with her and that would be good enough for her. It's about the forethought gentlemen, so make it happen!
My plan ended up being to do all of the little things that I sometimes do or don't do all in one weekend. These included cleaning the kitchen, getting her car washed for her, going to the grocery store, driving to pick up the one thing she was craving for dinner, etc. For the big day itself, we always knew there was only one option...
Our idea of a great Valentine's day consists of hanging out together at home (one of our favorite pastimes) and eating homemade pizza. Mimosas were also included, but I'm not sure if a large glass of champagne topped with a dribble of OJ can actually qualify as a mimosa.
Angela also loves anything related to crafts or scrapbooking, so we decided to skip out on hallmark and create our own cards for each other. They really do turn out better than any of the crappy corny stuff you can get at the store.
To conclude this V-day post, I decided to answer a question that my friend Megan posted today on her blog, Something New: "What is your favorite thing about your Valentine?" While I could follow her trend of quirky things left around the house with a parallel story of millions of bobby pins everywhere, I think I will venture out into another wonderful part of my wife: her sleeve.
My wife is good at many, many things. She can cook, she can teach, she can snuggle, and oh how she can sleep. But the thing that she does best, above all other things is make me feel loved. She is not an introvert, she is not pensive, she is not reserved. When she feels something, she will let me know; and, more often than not, she feels in love with me. There seriously must be something wrong with her to love me as much as she does, but it's unbelievably refreshing to feel the grace that her love brings me. So yes, my wife wears her emotions on her sleeve, but I believe that God made her that way to fit me perfectly. The strongest need I feel consistently is a need to be wanted, and there is not a more capable woman in the world of fulfilling that need than my wife. In all honesty, there is not a week that goes by where the two of us don't sit down and recognize the intricate ways in which our personalities fit together. Literally, puzzle pieces don't fit together as perfectly as we do.
So, on our first married Valentine's day, I can sit here and know that my wife and I were fearfully and wonderfully made for each other. I look forward to many more (at least 50!) Valentine's days when I can call my sweet bride "my Valentine".
1 comments :
I guess my next blog should be "Making the perfect heart shaped pizza 101!"
Post a Comment