She used an old painting she found at Goodwill, but after many failed attempts of searching for a big picture like hers, I settled for a mirror that we inherited when we moved into the house. I never got rid of it because I loved the design of it, just not the color, so I figured one day I would paint it...and well, the time was now!
Since this was truly an antique, dust and all, it involved pliers, the back of a hammer and lots of labor to get it paint ready. And yes, I would like you all to know I did this completely by myself. Although I did try and get Tommy to use his strength to help me pull out the staples in the back. It's College Football season though and his answer was...you got it babe. :) At least he was encouraging.
I forgot to take a complete before picture but you get the gist.
I used the lazy mans spray paint, using a 2-1 primer/white satin paint. I would say it did it's job, but probably could have used one last coat had I not run out. If I decide later...I might re-sand and paint again one day. I primed the mirror (with the same stuff!) and was determined to use that as my chalkboard surface. So much smoother than wood.
I ended up with paint all over me some how...the bottoms of my feet, my fingers, arms...thank goodness for nail polish remover. Took the paint right off!
Here is the frame drying...
Here is the frame drying...
Ta-da! And here it is all put together! The chalkboard paint took about 3-4 coats with about 2 hours in between to dry. Probably could have used one last coat, but I'm too antsy and inpatient and wanted it to be done. I'll probably pay for that in the end.
Now to find Crayola chalk. Apparently that's the best kind to use.
**Picture of it actually hanging on the wall and in good lighting coming...I promise!**
Now to find Crayola chalk. Apparently that's the best kind to use.
**Picture of it actually hanging on the wall and in good lighting coming...I promise!**
0 comments :
Post a Comment