Thursday, July 2, 2009

Dinner blessing last night

Last night we were on the prowl for a restaurant called Nello. My mom
told me about it. She said it was a place that my uncle Billy used to
go all the time before he was killed by a cab outside leaving the
resaurant. We found it and ate a wonderful meal. My mom was paying for
us as an engagement present, so we went all out with steak, wine, and
dessert. I asked our bus boy if Nello was there, and he said yes. I
asked if I could speak with him and he said he'd check and see. After
I saw one of the matredees (sp?) scoff at him, I knew I'd have to be a
little more specific. I asked our waiter, and explained that Nello
knew my uncle well a long time ago, and we got the nod to go meet him!
We went to the back of his restaurant, it felt like he was a mob boss.
He was eating at his own back table with a couple people. We talked,
and he remembered Billy and my mom's family. It was great that he
remembered my mom and uncle, calling him an Angel and that his family
was a fantastic group. He said that Billy was one of his good friends
when he first came to New York. After all that, he comped our meal. I
tried to deny him but he wouldn't have it. It was a little hard after
that, as memories and thoughts of my family came back to me, I had to
hold off some tears, but it truly was an amazing experience to see how
greatly we can touch each others' lives.

Tommy
7/2/09 NYC

0 comments :

Post a Comment